Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Why I Love Nursing

I have grown to love nursing. I knew that it would be hard to get a hang of at first, but I never thought I would grow to love it so much. Here are a few reasons why:

- It's so good for Ethan. Scientists are still discovering ways that breast milk is better than formula! It helps Ethan's changing colon and feed his brain. It changes in structure and consistency as Ethan grows. It constantly creates antibodies for Ethan to ward off sickness. It reduces his risks of childhood and adulthood illnesses.

-It's so good for me. At one month after birthing Ethan- I had a mere 13 pounds to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I don't own a scale- or I would know how far I've come since then. It reduces my risks of breast cancer and diabetes later on in life.

-It's so easy and convenient. Ethan downs a meal in 20 minutes. There is no warming up or mixing a bottle. I don't even have to wash the bottle after he's done! It's great. If he is hungry- I can feed him at any moment. If he's fussy and just needs something familiar and comforting to calm him down- nursing always works.

-It's a special time that I get to have with Ethan. It has helped to create a bond between the 2 of us. He finds comfort in me and I love getting to hold him and enjoy him. He is always so cute when he nurses.

-It's such a miracle. Something from me goes into him and nourishes him. It transfers into all the rolls on his body and drool from his mouth. It's so amazing that all that is possible because of milk that comes out of me.

It took a little while for nursing not to hurt. Ethan being older has helped with that. He can latch on really well and I don't have to hold him so gently. He really only nurses 4 times during the day. The rest of the times are going to bed, at night, and when he wakes up in the morning. Easy peasy. Once I got through the first 2 months-- everything was smooth sailing.

I would highly highly recommend nursing. I'm going to try to do it for the first year. I will keep you posted on if I am able to make it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...