Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

True Beauty

I've been meditating a lot this week. I went to a great women's event at our church on Saturday. It gave me a lot to think about. An older woman at church held a seminar on biblical womanhood. It was her, a whiteboard, and an outline. There were about 15 women who came and we all sat in a U around the woman teaching. It was wonderful. No hype. No fluff. Just real stuff. I went in thinking most of it would be a refresher on biblical womanhood for me. How wrong I was. God has so much to teach me yet. Being a Godly woman is a lifelong task. I am just getting started.

I have been thinking and praying through the material we went through. I feel humbled. I feel loved and given so much grace. The thing that I hear God telling me is - press in. Listen for my voice. I love you and have so much to give you. Press into me. That is where you will find rest and peace and where it feels like home.

So, I am doing my best. But it is hard. I find myself sorting through my thoughts and holding them up to scripture and what I know God has taught me. I want that to be the thing I think about the most. Not comparing to my parents or my siblings or my friends. But resting in the plan that my God has for me. It's unique and beautiful. Press in.

One of the passages I have read this week in meditating is 1st Peter 3.

Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word,they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives,  when they see your respectful and pure conduct.  Do not let your adorning be external--the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear--  but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening. 


Do you hear it? My value and my worth come from hiding my heart in Jesus. Not in what I look like or what my husband does. I can be beautiful with buck teeth and moles and a crooked, big nose. I can be beautiful while wearing a shirt that has spit up all over it and hair that has been tied back to keep a child from pulling on it. Do you hear it? I am beautiful because of where I put my hope and my thoughts. Not in the future. Not in my circumstance, but in my beautiful Savior. 


Amen Jesus. Amen. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...