Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Grace Amazing

Mephibosheth. Not likely to be found on any baby name lists. But in fact, it is a name of a man.

One of my favorite stories from the bible involves this man. You'll find his story in 2nd Samuel 9. There was a guy named Saul who was Israel's first king. God finds his heart wicked and takes his royal status from him. Saul has a son named Jonathon who became good friends with the man who became the next king- David.

Now David did not seek to be king. In fact, he was the furthest thing from a future king when Samuel found him. Samuel is the priest whom God sent to anoint the king that God chose- because he had a heart that longed for God. And David had this. Being a shepherd prepared him to lead God's people even when they became bitter or strayed from God. He had led sheep before.

David is put into power and Saul is killed. David should be happy right? He is, but he mourns the loss of Saul. He mourns the loss of someone who is supposed to be his enemy.  And he mourns the loss of his friend Jonathon. In chapter 9 David says.... Is there anyone left of the house of Saul that I may show him kindness for Jonathon's sake?

And there is. Mephibosheth. Now, Mephibosheth was supposed to run away to another place- far away from David. What king wants a potential heir to the throne he overthrew to survive? Not many. But this king did. So much so that he brought Mephibosheth into his kingdom and gave him a place at his table- with his sons. Mephibosheth at one point says... What is your servant that you should show regard for a dead dog such as I?. He understands the weight of what should happen to him. His family is an enemy of the now king. But David wants to elevate him and bring him into his household because of his father Jonathon.

And he does. David even gives Mephibosheth all the land that was Saul's and provides workers to plant and harvest crops for him and his family.

Amazing. I see the gospel so clearly here. I am associated with sin that is an enemy to God. But, Jesus has been made my co heir because He shed His blood for the forgiveness of my sins. God, seeks me out so that he can elevate my position before Him simply for the sake of Jesus. I should run away and be scared of God's judgement on me, but instead God brings me into His presence and provides more than enough for me and my heart. Amazing.

Only your blood is enough to cover my sin.

Grace. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...