Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Marriage 101- Insight #1

In honor of my brother's wedding in a few weeks, I thought I would share a little of what I have learned about marriage in the last 5 years. I'm sure I will look back at these insights in 20 years and laugh at myself. I'm sure I have much to learn, but I have learned a little bit in the meantime.

Insight #1

How do people have a good marriage without Christ? I don't think it's possible. You have to have 1st John and its truths to guide you into the wisdom of love. We love because He first loved us. Not because we get our way or have a certain feeling. I love Jason. Because I understand how God loves me. Unselfishly. Regardless of how I act. As if I was the only one.

Jesus gives us a truth meter. We have a way to gauge our actions, what we fight about, what decisions to make, and how to spend our time. I love that there are absolutes. That there is a way to know who is right and who is wrong. Or what is right and what is wrong. I love that Jason and I can spend time praying about something and receive a real answer.

Jesus gives us a common vision. Our future is guided by Revelation 4 and Isaiah 6. We know how things are going to end up. So, it makes it easier to live in a way worthy of the gospel. We keep each other accountable to do that. We know that is the only thing that will satisfy our souls and give us complete joy.

It's definitley possible to get married without knowing Christ. It's definitely possible to be married for a lifetime without Christ. That doesn't sound easy or fun. I think the best marriage you can have is one with Christ in the center. He is the mediator between us and God, but also between a husband and wife. We need Christ to make it work, to make it enjoyable, and to make it more than just 2 people hanging out together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...