Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Weaning

Ethan will be 13 months old soon. I can't believe we have made it this far. My mind works in seasons, like before Jas and I got married- I planned for everything up until we were married- simply because I didn't know what to expect. The same was true of moving to Virginia, then pregnancy, and then being a mom who nursed their baby. Our family is now entering a new phase. Jason and I are ready to be able to leave Ethan for a night and I am working on being able to let go of Baby Ethan and move onto Toddler Ethan.

I am a little apprehensive about weaning. How will I comfort Ethan in a way that he understands? How will I put him down for his naps? On the flip side, I am excited to wean. I don't have to wear nursing undergarments. I don't have to be with Ethan every night for him to fall asleep. I can be a little more independent if needed.

Jas and I are attending a marriage conference in April- later April. We have decided that we want to go away for one night and be able to leave Ethan here with a trusted family member. This means that Ethan will need to be weaned.

It may sound like a lot of time, but it feels like a huge chapter is closing for me. A chapter of mommyhood that I have loved and enjoyed. Something that was so hard at first and then became so easy and then became something I looked forward to because I could watch Ethan fall asleep in my arms. So sweet.

A new chapter is emerging. One that includes whole milk in sippy cup. No bottles or pacifiers. A chapter with a very active little boy trying to go down slides by himself and push a swing at the park. A little boy who loves to eat fruit cut up in a bowl with a fork and crunch on crackers using his 2 and a half little teeth.

The baby season is over and the little boy season is here. I will let you know how weaning goes. Pray for us and our new season. Pray for my heart in letting this little bit of sweetness go for the greater good of my family.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...